Just because it’s winter and it feels like it might be the coldest day yet, I’ve decided to share another soup recipe with you!
Packed with nutritional powerhouses such as sweet potato, spinach, garlic, carrots, and tomatoes, this soup truly flushes the fat away by restoring acid-alkaline and sodium-potassium balance to the body’s organs and glands. It is a warming and deliciously comforting treat that has the added bonus of detoxing your body and adding much needed nutrients.
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch of salt, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1 can diced tomatoes (no salt added), *this is an optional ingredient
- 4 cups baby spinach, loosely packed
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Add all ingredients, except spinach and olive oil, to a large pot.
- Cover and cook on low for about 2 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add spinach, stir and continue cooking just until wilted, approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tip: If you prefer a thicker soup, after 1 hour of cooking, simply remove 1 cup of soup, along with ingredients, mash ingredients with a fork, return to the pot, stir and continue cooking 1 hour. When serving, drizzle a little (optional) olive oil over each bowl of soup.
Note: Olive oil helps the body absorb nutrients more efficiently and supports a healthy digestive system.