This is an awesome post-workout protein bar recipe without all the shitty ingredients that your usual shop-bought protein bars are filled with! They are easy to make, delicious and can be stored in the freezer (if you don’t eat them all at once).
- 2 cups of nuts (I like using a mixture of almonds and cashews)
- 2 big handfuls of shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/3 cup nut butter (choose your favorite)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup protein powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Honey to sweeten
- Blend the nuts in a small food processor or blender until finely chopped. If the pieces are too big the bars won’t stick together. But don’t blend for too long otherwise you’ll end up with nut meal.
- Pop the blended nuts into a mixing bowl, add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Melt the coconut oil and honey (if using) in a small bowl in the microwave, or over the stove.
- Add to the dry ingredients, and mix around until everything is combined. Have a little taste, and add extra sweetener to reach your desired sweetness levels. If the mixture is really wet, add some extra chia seeds (or almond meal, psyllium husks etc) to thicken it up. If it’s too dry, add some extra coconut oil.
- Line a small square (about 21 x 21cm) baking pan with baking/wax paper. Tip the mixture in, and smooth out with the back of a spoon. Pop into the fridge for about 30 minutes to set.
- When set and hard enough to cut, lift the whole lot out on to a chopping board and cut into squares.